Course Title: 2D Art
(Click here for printable version)
2D Art is a year long course that meets every other day. The course is designed to give students an in depth look at the worlds of drawing, painting, printmaking and photography and is paired best with 8th grade 3D Art to provide a well-rounded arts education. The primary objective of the course is to use 2D Art as an avenue to explore real life concepts of problem solving, innovation and perseverance while advancing skills to create advanced 2D compositions.
- Student is able to plan, refine and produce visual artworks using appropriate materials, processes and techniques.
- Student is able to reflect on, respond to, and evaluate visual art.
- Student understands how art connects to themselves and the world by creating and relating works that express personal ideas and feelings.
Plan, refine and produce visual artworks using a variety of materials, processes and techniques
| Guiding Questions
|| Learning Objectives
- How do artists organize elements and principles of design to create advance 2-Dimensional compositions?
- How do 2D artists use a variety of materials to show realism through proportion and perspective?
- How do artist refine a variety of different ideas to plan a unified work of art?
- How do artists use 2D techniques to maintain a high level of craftsmanship?
- How do artists use sketchbooks to build their skills on a daily basis?
- How do artists use problem solving when creating 2D works of art?
- Utilize thumbnail sketching when planning complex problems
- Demonstrate proper artistic techniques using a variety of different 2D mediums.
- Maintain craftsmanship while working with a variety of different 2D mediums.
- Create realistic imagery using a variety of different mediums and techniques.
- Overcome challenges with minimal help from teacher.
- Utilize sketchbooks to advance their skills outside of class.
| Summative Projects Explore: Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Photography and Mixed Media
Reflect on, respond to and evaluate components of visual art
| Guiding Questions
- How can artists use reflection to better their artwork?
- How do artists provide constructive feedback to other artist to help expand their understanding?
- How do artists interpret works of art created by professional artists?
- How can artists use artistic language and vocabulary to demonstrate learning/understanding?
- Write reflections to verbalize their artistic process
- Provide constructive feedback to their peers about their artworks.
- Interpret works of art from history and today.
- Use artististic vocabulary when describing and responding works of art.
| Activities Include: Mid-Project Critiques, End-Project Critiques, Concepts Reflections, Personal Reflection and Visual Close Reading
Use art to connect to yourself and the world around you
| Guiding Questions
- How do contemporary artists use themes and visual elements to create one of a kind works of art?
- How are artist inspired by art from many time periods and many cultures?
- How do artists connect emotion and ideas to create personal works of art?
- Interpret works created by contemporary artists and use them to inspire their own works.
- Connect work they do in class to artistic cultures around the world.
- Create work that connects personally to them.
- Demonstrate theme in their works of art to respond to happenings in the world around them.
|Summative Projects Explore: Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Photography and Mixed Media
| Career and Life Skills
| Social and Cross Cultural
||The student respects and contributes to the diverse learning community by:
- Honoring the ideas and opinions of others and
- Interacting effectively and appropriately with others.
| Productivity and Accountability
||The student takes ownership of work and actions by:
- Completing assignments on time
- Arriving prepared and on time
- Managing time
| Initiative and Self Direction
||The student demonstrates independence by:
- Self-advocating for assistance or resources
- Persevering through rigorous/challenging tasks
- Utilizing feedback